Last Updated: December 7, 2021
The Personal Information Protection Act (“the Act”) regulates the way private sector organizations within British Columbia collect, use, keep, secure and disclose personal information. “Personal Information” in the Act means all information about an identifiable individual but does not include contact information.
MINORS UNDER THE AGE OF 19
The Platforms are not intended for individuals under the age of 19.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you visit the Platforms, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Platforms, we collect information about the individual webpages or products that you view, which websites or search terms referred you to the Platforms, and information about how you interact with the Platforms. we refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information.”
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Platforms, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Platforms.
Additionally, when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Platforms, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, mailing address, payment information (including credit card numbers, Interac electronic transfer, cheque number), email address, and phone number. we refer to this information as “Order Information.”
As well, when you subscribe to my email newsletter, we collect your name and email address. We refer to this information as “Subscriber Information.”
Also, when you leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also your IP address and browser unit agent string to help spam detection. We refer to this information as “Comment Information.“
If you become or apply to become an Anahaw Law client, in order to be able to give legal advice to you, we also need access to all relevant facts and information that relate to our engagement and to the representation of our clients. This information will necessarily include all information about an identifiable individual whether that be about our clients or about individuals other than our clients. We refer to this information as “Client Information.”
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfill any orders placed through the Platforms (including processing your payment information and providing you with invoices and order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
- Communicate with you;
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Platforms (for example, by generating analytics about how guests browse and interact with the Platforms, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
We use the Subscriber Information we collect to track your preferences and to keep you informed about the products and services you have selected to receive and any related products and/or services.
We use the Comment Information to display and attribute your comments to our blog posts.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
As a general rule, we do not sell, rent, lease or otherwise transfer any Personal Information collected whether automatically or through your voluntary action.
We only share your Personal Information with specific third parties to help us use your Personal Information, as described above.
- We use QuickBooks Payments to accept online payments–you can read more about how Quickbooks Payments uses your Personal Information here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ph/privacy/. You can opt-out of using QuickBooks Payments by providing your payment by Interac electronic transfer, bank transfer or certified cheque.
- We use Google Analytics to help us understand how people use the Platforms–you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- We use ConvertKit to provide you with information or advertising related to my products and services–you can read more about how ConvertKit uses your Personal Information here: https://convertkit.com/privacy. You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link located at the bottom of any e-mail you receive from us at any time.
Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
DO NOT TRACK
You are responsible for managing your browser’s cookie settings.
Please note that we do not alter my Platforms’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser. If this is a concern for you, we recommend browsing the Platforms on your browser’s “private browsing mode.”
When you place an order through the Platforms, we will maintain your Order Information for my records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
When you subscribe to my email newsletter through the Platforms, we will maintain your Subscriber Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
When you comment on the Platforms, we will maintain your Comment Information for my records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We employ commercially reasonable methods to ensure the security of the information you provide us and the information we collect automatically. This includes using standard security protocols and working only with reputable third-party vendors.
E-mail is not recognized as a secure medium of communication. For this reason, we request that you do not send private information to us by email. However, doing so is allowed, but at your own risk. Some of the information you may enter on our Platforms may be transmitted securely via a secure medium known as Secure Sockets Layer, or SSL. Credit Card information and other sensitive information is never transmitted via email.
We may use software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing the number of visitors to the different sections of our site, what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, we use software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
If you have any questions with respect to our policies concerning the handling of your personal information, or if you wish to request access to, or correction of, your personal information under our care and control, please contact us here.
If you are dissatisfied with my handling of your personal information, we invite you to contact us in writing, setting out the reasons for your concern.
If, after we have reviewed and responded to your concern, you remain dissatisfied, you may wish to contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner at:
PO Box 9038, Stn Prov Govt